Friday 7 October 2011

How did your personality and abilities change after going on medications?

I have my appointment coming up soon and I'll more than likely find out that I need to be on medications for depression and anxiety issues. I've been working with a school councelor to try to avoid the meds, but it's not working very well.Even though I am depressed %26amp; extremely unhappy most of the time; I am able to accomplish alot of things.Which is a wonder in its own since I have alot of trouble concentrating and being motivated.I'm doing well in college and also on the track team. I have a pretty strong %26quot;business women%26quot; personality. When I look back at things and make myself realize my accomplishments, it suprised me since I don't feel well most of the time. But yet I feel like I'm being held back psychologically. My question is when you went on medications; did you become more efficient and productive at everyday tasks? I'd like to work towards another major and maybe work part-time during the school year, but I don't know what kind of effect medications will have on me. Thank you.
How did your personality and abilities change after going on medications?
I suffered many years with depression , anxiety and now bipolar disorder. I have tried many different medications and of course all have some side effects. The biggest change I found was that some took away my affect and I looked uninterested and felt that way too. But, now, on the right meds, my life has never been better. Being depressed was very counterproductive for me and feeling suicidal because of anxiety was no way to live. Some things have changed and I am probably a clearer thinker than I have been in a long time because I am not battling the negative emotions as well as everyday life. Be honest with yourself and know that there are many different meds and the first or the forth for that matter may not be the right one or the right cocktail of meds. You must ask yourself what are acceptable side effects and which are not. Other than a little night time drowsiness, I am doing great. Life has meaning and all that is important.

Janice
How did your personality and abilities change after going on medications?
i am on concerta for adhd and there is a HUGE difference in personality and ability... when im on it: I am focused, seldom speak, work 7-11 hours a day (i'm in college), get amazing grades...



when im off it: I bounce off the walls, cant hold a conversation for more than 60 seconds, have so much energy... ect...



you change when on meds, but most is for good.
all depends on 1) diagnosis 2) choice of med. treatment 3) onset of action of the particular drug 4) how much can your organism, brain particulary, respond to the subscribed medication
sometimes im not taking my medicine i get alot of hillucinations i get sick from it sometimes but its all worth it i have schizophrenia and its been working for me, im always depressed but its also a good thing cause nobody can think the same way you do =] //_^
talk to me on IM