Wednesday 21 September 2011

Can changing your appearance alter your personality?

When I say alter, I don't mean extreme shifts in personality. I just mean different traits coming out depending on how you look. I'm 18 and a guy. I've had longish hair my whole life that went down to my ears. This is pretty much my mom's fault because she thought it looked cute on me. Of course, she also thought mushroom cuts looked cute on me, yet nobody else thought so. Anyways, I've been a real shy and anxious person my whole life. It's partly because I'm just naturally like that, but it also has something to do with the way I grew up in such a chaotic home all the time. I'm not going to go into the whole history, but it messed up my personality.



So here I am today. I'm in University taking drama, studying to be an actor. My hair is still longish, but recently I've really wanted to break out of my shell and change my personality. I've always felt very isolated from people due to my anxiety and stuff. I know that deep down inside, I can actually be social and outgoing, but he just isn't coming out. So recently I've thought about cutting my hair, changing my clothes, and just doing whatever to change myself. Yes, I have been going to therapy, so don't suggest that.



So what do you think? Can altering one's appearance bring out different personality traits?
Can changing your appearance alter your personality?
There is growing research saying that our early interactions from peers create our initial personality traits, not from your parents. If you cut your hair it might change your attitudes, but not your personality. If you're someone who is nice or rude before you get your haircut, odds are you'll still be the same after you get your haircut.
Can changing your appearance alter your personality?
i think it can. if you change all that and you like the way you look, confidence goes up. you see it and everyone else does making your overall personality more positive
grow it out and become metal. haha
No, it can't. Your personality is something you use to deal with other people in everyday life. You've grown to be like that in reaction to how people have treated you. What altering your appearance can do however is change the way people perceive you, and as such alter the way they treat you. This in turn can allow you to become less anxious, and as such, change your personality. So I suppose, indirectly, changing your appearance can alter your personality.
I don't think that it's so much that a change of appearance brings out different personality traits as much as how your change of appearance would affect how you feel about yourself, thus changing how you relate to others and to the world -- may make you feel more outgoing, have more pride in yourself, etc. Also, depending on the changes, it could relate psychologically to color theory as well. Like, for example, if you had long dark hair, always wore black, etc, and then began wearing light / bright colors, this could actually lift your mood, just based on the colors that you are around. Hope this helps!
  • shared web hosting
  • big hair
  •