Saturday 24 September 2011

What is it like to work as an embalmer, mortician, and funeral director?

Is there fun involved at all? How is the pay? the benefits? What is it like to sleep at night or work alone? Has or does working in this capacity change your personality at all?
What is it like to work as an embalmer, mortician, and funeral director?
One of my uncles is a funeral director. You would never know he had that job. He drives a big SUV to pick up dead bodies in, sometimes he has to pick up bodies w/ the whole family in the car (as in his 3 girls and wife) I think you get used to the death. He is a very normal happy person. I think he likes his job. He has a very mellow personality and is very good with the families that have just lost a loved one. The job must pay well because he has a very nice home. I've known my uncle since he was a teenager and he seems like the same guy to me 27 years later. My bf jokes since my uncle is Italian, that he is in the mafia picking up stiffs....of course not true, but funny.
What is it like to work as an embalmer, mortician, and funeral director?
i imagine you would have to emotionally die or develop some sort of sick sense of humor
Quiet
Sounds like fun. Seriously.
my father did this for about a year - long ago.



it made him much more respectful of funerals, the dead, and the loved ones still living.