Saturday 24 September 2011

Is it possible for your personality to change?

I personally do not think it's possible for your personality to change. I don't mean you stay the same throughout your whole life; What I mean to say is that the basics of your personality are the same. For an example, if you were a mischievous trouble-maker when you were younger, you are probably still fun loving and spontaneous now. It's just more subdued. Or if you used to be very quiet and now you're more talkative, that's not exactly a change in personality. It's a change in how you express yourself. You're allowed to have your own opinions, by the way. Feel free to try to change my mind with the answer to my question of whether or not it's possible for your personality to change!
Is it possible for your personality to change?
Psychologists say that 85% of our personalities are formed by the time we are 6 years old. The majority of that is done by the time we are 3! UNBELIEVEABLE!



the other 15% is like you say manners....society....learning to express yourself as an adult...etc.



I have 4 children and let me tell you I doubted the facts when getting my degree. After having my kids...I must say, I agree. My oldest is still so compassionate, sensitive and affectionate. My second is so strong willed its amazing.....now he's %26quot;driven%26quot; and aims for the best grades in stead of just demanding his way. My daughter is so mature for her age and articulate. Just like when she was little, she is very very organized and neat.....super detail oriented (nothing like her mother) And my 4 yr old....we are still developing but he is proving to be quite a leader....and really funny....he just has this great sense of humor.



So, based on my data.....and my degree.....your right....i agree 100%



:~)
Is it possible for your personality to change?
It is possible.



If you have an accident and your brain is injured, your personality could change.



There was this case about a man named Phineas Gage who had an iron go through his skull, so he had severe brain damage. Before the accident, he had a diplomatic and calm personality. After the accident, he could function normally, but his personality had completely changed. His friends described him as out of control and animal-like, very different from his cool and collected personality before the accident.



If you're interested and want more info about it, here's the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gag鈥?/a>
A %26quot;change in how you express yourself%26quot; is a change in your personality, in my opinion. Personality is just the way that you choose to interact with others, however I think we all have natural tendencies that we rarely overcome -- such as, for me, being sarcastic and probably too overly goofy -- but I also think that there's other parts of our personality that mature and change over time. When I was younger I was cutting when I used my sarcasm without realizing that what I was doing was hurting others, but the more I interacted and understood, my personality morphed to fit my understanding of interaction.



Things alter and change in the way you act, but I don't think you completely throw away who you are to take on a new way of life automatically.
Yes, I think your personality changes throughout life, depending on your experiences. For example, if you used to wear your heart on your sleeve and be really kind to everyone, but then people took advantage of you or stabbed you in the back, you might become less trusting of people. Or if you used to be quick to fall in love, but then you got hurt so many times, you might become emotionally detached, or afraid to get into intimate relationships. On the other hand if you were insecure and shy, but people always complimented you and talked to you, you may have come out of your shell....etc..
  • ireland
  • com and interop
  •